[erlang-questions] Description of Erlang Garbage Collection

Lukas Larsson lukas.larsson@REDACTED
Fri Apr 8 11:29:54 CEST 2016

Hello everyone,

I've long worked on a text that describes in detail exactly how the Erlang
garbage collector works. During the last month I finally took the time to
finish it and also included the changes that have been made in the current
master branch to be released in Erlang/OTP 19.0.

You can read the description here:
https://www.erlang-solutions.com/blog/erlang-19-0-garbage-collector.html

I'm personally am very excited about the off_heap message queue semantics
that is coming in 19 and think that it will solve a lot of problems that
systems have had with huge message queues running amok and also how refc
binaries not been garbage collected fast enough. Also the way that literals
are identified from 19 opens up a bunch of new optimization paths for us as
it allows a much more fuzzy definition of what is the young heap.

If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask and I'll do my
best to answere.

Enjoy,
Lukas