[erlang-questions] where it's the best way to store a very big term object shared between processes

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Thu Oct 22 22:38:25 CEST 2015

On 10/22/2015 01:29 AM, Caragea Silviu wrote:
> Hello.
>
> In one of my projects I need to use a radix tree. I found out a very nice library :
> https://github.com/okeuday/trie
>
> Lookup performances are great. But I have one problem.
>
> Basically my tree has around 100 000 elements so building it it's an extremely operation. For this reason I'm building it once and all processes that needs to do lookups need to share the btrie object (created using btrie:new/1).
>
> Here I see several options:
>
> 1. Use a gen server and store the btrie object on the state or process dictionary. - I didn't tried this
> 2. Use a ets table and store the tire object on a public table where all processes can read and  write.
It is easier to scale and is more natural in Erlang if you pursue #1 (using the state, not the process dictionary).  The #2 path (including mochiglobal) is typical in imperative programming (mutating global state).  With #1 you can manage the reliability of individual processes for fault-tolerance concerns and you would probably start with a single locally registered process name.  Then if there is too much contention for the single process that has the btrie, you would switch to using a process group, to share the load with replicated data.

The btrie usage is probably slower than using the newer maps data structure.  The trie repo was mainly created for string keys, not binary keys, due to the memory access details in Erlang (i.e., it is easier to have more efficient lookups with string keys, when using process heap data, which includes being more efficient than maps in some cases).

You could also store the key/value lookup as a single large binary that you reference (in multiple processes, since large binaries are reference counted) with something like https://github.com/knutin/bisect which may work too.

Best Regards,
Michael