[erlang-questions] where it's the best way to store a very big term object shared between processes

Sean Cribbs seancribbs@REDACTED
Thu Oct 22 16:10:42 CEST 2015

I'd echo Richard's message. This is exactly what the unfortunately-named
'mochiglobal' module does. If you have a large, low-write, high-read
data-structure, it's perfect. Keep in mind that compiling the module may
take a lot longer than copying a large datastructure between processes, and
so be REALLY REALLY sure this is what you want first.

In the early days of Riak we used mochiglobal to store the ring, because
then many client processes could access it at once without going through a
gen_server. However, over time we realized the churn was too high for the
code server and switched to something else; I think it ended up being a
gen_server handling updates but putting it in a public-read ets table.