[erlang-questions] Erlang and Docker

Kevin Montuori montuori@REDACTED
Sun Nov 22 19:31:38 CET 2015

    >> I have a use case where containers are indicated and need a very small
    >> distributed cache.  Mnesia's my first choice but only if I don't have to
    >> figure out the Erlang-in-Docker clustering myself; I was hoping someone
    >> might have insight into (or a recipe for!) making that work.  If not
    >> there are other easily implementable solutions that I'll investigate.

    z> This is a curious phrase. You want "containers to have a cache"... ?

    z> Mnesia is *ideal* for creating caches. I actually don't really
    z> like DETS so much because it distracts from what Mnesia is really
    z> good at, and that is core cache with genuine db features.

I should probably have phrased that as:

  I have an Erlang application where containers are indicated; that
  application requires a small cache.

In a strictly OTP application deployment I would without doubt use
Mnesia.  But because the application has the Docker requirement things
are a little more difficult.

I agree 100% with Mnesia as distributed cache (and, honestly, for
durable storage as well): it's treated me well over the years.

k.

--
  Kevin Montuori
  montuori@REDACTED