[erlang-questions] Erlang and Docker

zxq9 zxq9@REDACTED
Sun Nov 22 19:21:38 CET 2015

On 2015年11月22日 日曜日 11:27:47 Kevin Montuori wrote:

>     z> I'm not saying these things don't work -- they do. But they have
>     z> never actually made deployment or maintenance any easier over the
>     z> long term -- instead merely move the complexity involved in those
>     z> tasks elsewhere for a while.
>
> Bringing up Docker certainly roused up some passions.  I'm not sold on
> containers as the solution to the world's ills but I'm also not willing
> to eschew their use just because they're not always ideal.  Right tool
> for the job and all that.

Well put.

> Anyhow, I apologize for not being specific with the question I asked.

I apologize for becoming passionate -- it drove me out on a tangent.
Cathartic, but still a tangent.

> I have a use case where containers are indicated and need a very small
> distributed cache.  Mnesia's my first choice but only if I don't have to
> figure out the Erlang-in-Docker clustering myself; I was hoping someone
> might have insight into (or a recipe for!) making that work.  If not
> there are other easily implementable solutions that I'll investigate.

This is a curious phrase. You want "containers to have a cache"... ?

Mnesia is *ideal* for creating caches. I actually don't really like DETS
so much because it distracts from what Mnesia is really good at, and that
is core cache with genuine db features.

But... containers and in-memory caches with interesting features are
usually viewed as orthogonal features. In the case of Erlang, they are
really per-node concepts (unless you count DETS into that, then the
discussion changes a bit, but is still manageable).

Can you elaborate? I almost guarantee that someone will have a lot of
interesting things to say about whatever it is you are dealing with. My
suspicion is that the point at which the word "docker" entered the
discussion is the point at which it became an X-Y problem.

(And I went off on my tangent -- (>.<) dhoh. I appreciate your grace
on this point.)

-Craig