[erlang-questions] [ANN] Erlang/OTP 18.0-rc1 is available for testing.

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Fri Mar 27 17:26:28 CET 2015

On 03/27, Felix Gallo wrote:
>I do indeed like {node(), Integer}!  But it would be highly useful to
>extend monotonic across distribution as well to permit total order and
>comparison; although there are some, ah, implementation details...

Well this is the root of the issue. To have monotonicity over all nodes
means that you enter the CAP theorem, the idea of 2-phase commits or
quorum systems.

Those are non-trivial choices, and if, for example, the majority of your
nodes aren't available, it would be possible for you to never can update
the monotonic clock again, and may only keep it flat (if not strictly
monotonic).

That's why you use a node identifier in there -- it lets you compare
things globally to get a partial prder (I can compare a node's data
totally, but with other nodes, it's trickier and not always possible).
This somewhat embraces the idea that time is relative, especially so on
computers where clocks drift and jump around all the time.