[erlang-questions] Including other peoples code in my code in a future proof way

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Wed Mar 18 19:20:31 CET 2015

On 03/18/2015 06:51 PM, Joe Armstrong wrote:
> I've run into another problem -
> Right now I have a working program that I want to make sure works on
> other peoples machines. So they need to get exactly the version I have
>
> Right now I clone cowboy cowlib and ranch
>
>     I then checkout   master from cowboy
>                                 tag 1.2.0 from cowlib
>                                 tag 1.0.0 from ranch
>
> Everything works fine - great
>
> If I publish this I assume the tagged versions 1.2.0 1.0.0 or cowlib and ranch
> will be the same - but in the future master won't be the same
>
> I then did a (inside cowboy)
>
>    > git checkout master
>
> and then
>
>> git describe
>
> fatal: No annotated tags can describe
> '90ae31998e8d0887b9efe4b441136ac047708bb9'.
>
>  From which I assume that I can use 90ae... etc as an immutable reference to
> cowboy, and the 1.2.0 1.0.0 tags for cowlib and ranch
>
> So now what I have to do is
>
> clone cowboy and checkout 90ae31998e8d0887b9efe4b441136ac047708bb9'.
> clone cowlib and checkout 1.2.0
> clone ranch and checkout 1.0.0
>
> Anybody who does this should get the same code as I have on my machine
> is this correct?

This is correct.

> Can I trust the tags? - do I have to converts these to shas with git describe
> as well?

You might want to use 'git show --shortstat' instead, describe gives you
a different kind of information.

Don't trust tags. Even mine. While I do not make a habit of changing
history, there are some things that could make force me to, like legal
requests. You know where you stand with a sha, it's either there with
the source just like it's supposed to be, or it's not there at all.

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu