[erlang-questions] Announcing Erlang.org Code of Conduct

Benoit Chesneau bchesneau@REDACTED
Wed Mar 18 14:50:53 CET 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 2:32 PM, Gordon Guthrie <gguthrie@REDACTED> wrote:

> > Most people I know in the Erlang community use the Better form most of
> the time, and the Good form on occasion, which is why the CoC feels so
> unnecessary to me.
>
> I will repeat what I said previously - you don't write supervisions trees
> for process that don't crash - and you don't write codes of conduct for
> flame wars about bloody editors
>
> I can't think of a single example from the mailing list which would draw
> down the CoC - and that's a good thing.
>
> I am introducing a CoC for Erlang events because I have become aware of
> sexual assaults against female engineers at tech events (some of which I
> have attended).

Which assaults? In which events?

> This discussion is all getting a bit self indulgent.
>
> Pretending that the context of this CoC is NOT people reading horror
> stories about tech in their newspapers is all very la-la-la-la

Pretending that CoC are solving issue is also very la-la-la-la, very
care-bear world in fact.  It is only there to enforce rules when it is
needed. So after the facts.

If there is a CoC anyway then it imply there is a something able to enforce
it. Who/what is in charge of enforcing it. It should be clearly defined.
How people will be able to defends themselves against the club rules? How
do you make this rule enforcement fair for all party to make sure there
won't be abuse? How this can be checked? (Note that this is why we elect
people to vote rule and another to check their applications in some
countries). I didn't see yet a CoC that makes it clear. And this is very
disturbing.

Also the most disturbing thing in the CoC for me is that it imply a common
culture between people. So how do you define the commons?  Isn't it yet
defined by the laws?

About "beeing nice" why should I have to be nice. I would prefer to enforce
an honest, polit and respectful behaviour than having someone nice but
dishonest. And this shouldn't require a CoC except the one you're already
using when you cross the street.

- benoit.