[erlang-questions] [ANN] Rebar3 beta-1

Tristan Sloughter t@REDACTED
Mon Jun 29 15:02:31 CEST 2015

It has been almost a year since Rebar3: The Great Refactoring began
(first commit July 27, 2014!) and we (Fred and I) are now happy to
announce the first beta release. The source code is available at
https://github.com/rebar/rebar3 and the documentation at
http://rebar3.org

What does beta mean? We are feature complete for 3.0 and have numerous
plugins available to fill in gaps left by removed rebar2 features,
available at http://www.rebar3.org/v3.0/docs/using-available-plugins

A large reason for the backwards incompatible changes was to take a new
approach to how dependency discovery, figuring out what and how to build
projects, and the base execution model, but we also snuck in a number of
new features:

* Repeatable builds with deterministic conflict resolution:
http://www.rebar3.org/v3.0/docs/dependencies
* Deterministic dependency upgrades:
http://www.rebar3.org/v3.0/docs/dependencies#upgrading-source-dependencies
* Profiles: http://www.rebar3.org/v3.0/docs/profiles
* Overrides: http://www.rebar3.org/v3.0/docs/configuration#overrides
* Hex.pm packages: http://www.rebar3.org/v3.0/docs/publishing-packages
* Relx for releases, relups, and tarballs:
http://www.rebar3.org/v3.0/docs/releases
* Documentation is treated as a feature: http://rebar3.org/
* Powerful plugin system: http://www.rebar3.org/v3.0/docs/plugins

The configuration format mostly remains compatible with rebar 2.x
configuration files. Some 2.x options will be ignored by rebar3 and some
rebar3 options will be ignored by 2.x, but most pure Erlang projects out
there that used rebar to build will keep building fine.

Huge thanks everyone, and thanks to contributors who helped us reach the
rebar3 beta version. Particular thanks go to Daniel Widgren
(https://github.com/Taure), Alisdair Sullivan (@talentdeficit), James
Fish (@fishcakez), and Viacheslav V. Kovalev
(https://github.com/kovyl2404) for the heavy load of work they've done
towards this project. Thanks to all the other contributors and original
rebar contributors too.