[erlang-questions] Ideas on Distributed Programming on single machine

zxq9 zxq9@REDACTED
Sun Jan 18 00:34:14 CET 2015

Quite a bit of the stuff I've written or helped maintain (in Erlang and
otherwise) has wound up living inside VM instances (usually of Linux or BSD)
in a KVM cluster somewhere. Sometimes these instances are on the same hardware
host, sometimes not -- but it doesn't really matter, its just the way quite a
lot of infrastructure actually runs these days (or docker, or VMWare, or
whatever).

Obviously, this reflects in testing as well.

Using a full-blown virtualization platform like KVM it is very easy to
simulate netsplits, paused hosts, congestion, host crashes, misrouting,
overload on a single node, etc. the trick is learning enough about the
environment and hosts you want to run to make that truly feasible.

...and having enough RAM to make running lots of instances realistic -- but
for *most* scenarios you can learn a lot by using 3, 5, 7 or 8 instances.

-Craig

On 2015年1月17日 土曜日 12:46:39 Harit Himanshu wrote:
> Thanks Mark,
>
> I will learn and try to use it, I will let you know if I have any questions
>
> Thanks a lot for your help
>
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 12:43 PM, Mark Nijhof <
>
> mark.nijhof@REDACTED> wrote:
> > This is my Dockerfile that can build Erlang:
> > https://github.com/MarkNijhof/erlang_docker let me know if you have
> > questions
> >
> > On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 9:06 PM, Harit Himanshu <

> >> Thanks Mark, this sounds like a very good approach to learn about
> >> distributed programming. Since I am new in this arena, do you mind
> >> sharing
> >> resources on how to achieve something you do? That ways I can get some
> >> direction on what to Google and take it forward
> >>
> >> Thanks a lot!
> >> + Harit Himanshu

[ugh, all topposts... like a naive, panicky, CYA-inspired management
discussion in Outlook]