[erlang-questions] State Management Problem

aman mangal mangalaman93@REDACTED
Sat Dec 19 01:42:26 CET 2015

Hi everyone,

I have been reading a few blogs on Erlang lately and some of them strongly
points out that Erlang solves the reliability problem very nicely for
distributed systems. But when I really think about it, Erlang solves only
half of the reliability problem. It creates duplicate actors, handle their
crash by linking and supervision but it does not handle the distributed
state management problem at all. If I go back and look at the thesis of Joe
Armstrong, it also talks about everything as an actor model. I am wondering
what assumptions were made about state management at the time of creation
of the language as well as what are good ways to handle the other half of
the reliability problem when it comes to Erlang? I understand that this is
a hard problem to solve but at the same time, it seems to be a generic
problem for Distributed Systems. Does/can Erlang provide any generic
solutions?

Aman