[erlang-questions] Strange interaction between Docker and Erlangs ports (exit_status lost)

Lukas Larsson garazdawi@REDACTED
Thu Dec 17 22:33:56 CET 2015

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 9:16 PM, Lukas Larsson <garazdawi@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 8:59 PM, Alexey Lebedeff <binarin@REDACTED>
> wrote:
>>
>> So the assumption about no extra SIGCHLD is wrong and needs to be fixed.
>> Are you willing to do this? Or I could give it a try.
>>

> It may actually already be fixed in master. I just did a complete rewrite
> of the spawn driver to be released in 19.0 and if i remember correctly it
> should not have this problem.

Looking a bit more on the internet i found this:
https://blog.phusion.nl/2015/01/20/docker-and-the-pid-1-zombie-reaping-problem/
which seems to describe exactly the problem that you are experiencing. The
erlang vm is not built to run as the pid 1 process, even with my new
changes in the master branch this will still be a problem as instead of
missing out on exit_status messages you will have a system full of zombie
processes.

Lukas