[erlang-questions] Feedback for my first non-trivial Erlang program

Erik Søe Sørensen eriksoe@REDACTED
Thu Dec 17 19:34:02 CET 2015

Good illustration. Fibonacci to the rescue - for once...
I feel compelled to point out, however, that the talk about memory
explosion is not applicable here. In Fibonacci - and, I believe, in the
original program (though I didn't read it closely), the maximum stack
depth, and therefore the amount of stack memory required, is only linear in
n. (Well, with lists and such, it might be quadratic for the OP.) The
explosion is only timewise.
The accumulating, tail recursive version runs in constant space, of course.
Better, but linear would still do.

/Erik

Den 17/12/2015 14.27 skrev "zxq9" <zxq9@REDACTED>:

> [...]
> function (based on its spec, it should always give correct answers
regardless
> the ordering or values given as input) -- but *then* you should test it
> as a function over your *actual* values of Pensions, because those will
> only grow at a specific rate based on your constants, so you can know
> exactly what values will ever be passed to remove/3 with *those* specific
> constants.
>
> If remove/3 was correct per spec, and it turns out Pensions really will
> never match its alternate clause, then you can comment out remove/3 and
> its calling location and replace it with direct logic that shortcuts that
> operation entirely. (Do NOT delete it, though. Your constants may change
> someday and it would be silly to re-write it for no reason if it was
> already correct.)
>
> It is surprising how often computations that are central to an algorithm
> across its entire domain can be skipped entirely within the range of
> actual values that can possibly be passed as arguments to it. This comes
> up in graphics, all sorts of game calculations (movement, speed, distance,
> damage, auction prices, etc.), pathfinding, and sometimes finance.
>
> So do it properly, but keep an open mind.
>
> Skipping computations entirely is the Arch King of Speed Hacks.
>
> > (d) The thing with counting down instead of up, I havent properly
> > understood yet, but I will have a proper look into that.
>
> You are calculating a compound value over time. Sort of like Fibonacci.
>
> (I hate fib examples because they are almost always inapplicable to
> anything -- but in this case, holy crap, it actually is a good toy
> example!)
>
> Any fib(N) value depends on all the fib(N-1) values until fib(1). That
> means that to get *any* fib(N) you have to compute all the underlying
> ones already. Counting DOWN instead of UP means you are going to calculate
> *every* value that supports a given fib(N) a total of N-1 times FOR EACH
> fib(N - 1), and this means its N! times. If you are going to calculate
> them once, why not be done with it the first time?
>
> I can't explain it any better than an example:
>
> -module(fibses).
>
> -export([fib_desc/1, fib_asc/1, fib_asc/4]).
>
> %% Simple recursive, descending definition.
> fib_desc(N) ->
>     ok = io:format("Calling: fib_desc(~tp)~n", [N]),
>     fib_d(N).
>
> fib_d(0) -> 0;
> fib_d(1) -> 1;
> fib_d(N) -> fib_desc(N - 1) + fib_desc(N - 2).
>

> %%% Tail-recursive, ascending definition.
> fib_asc(N) ->
>     ok = io:format("Calling: fib_asc(~tp)~n", [N]),
>     fib_a(N).
>
> fib_a(0) -> 0;
> fib_a(1) -> 1;
> fib_a(N) -> fib_asc(N, 2, fib_asc(0), fib_asc(1)).
>
> fib_asc(N, Z, A, B) ->
>     ok = io:format("Calling: fib_asc(~tp, ~tp, ~tp, ~tp)~n", [N, Z, A,
B]),