[erlang-questions] eimap: a little Erlang IMAP client

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo@REDACTED
Tue Dec 15 19:38:22 CET 2015

Hello,

We began using Erlang where I work[1] for certain new components in our
flagship product[2] which focuses on collaboration and groupware
functionality. As such, IMAP is a protocol one sees flying about on a regular
basis.

So, after looking in vain for an IMAP client library written in Erlang, I have
started to implement one. Say hello to eimap.

It is implemented as a gen_fsm with each of the commands implemented in its
own module which makes extending / adding the myriad of silly IMAP commands
that float about in the various RFCs[4] rather easy. It is designed to be used
by one or more Erlang processes at a time, has a passthrough mode in addition
to a command queue, tries to be very forgiving in usage (e.g. you can start
queueing commands before it has connected to the server), ...

0.1 was a fairly rough-and-ready early release, and certainly quite limited in
functionality ... but good enough to be used in the first release of a new
Kolab component[3]. Release early and often, right?

I've done some refactoring this week and added a number of new commands in
preparation for releasing 0.2 this weekend. Should (one hopes! :) be an
improvement over the first release.

Feedback, patches, questions, pointers, etc ... all quite welcome.

The project page on our Phabricator instance is here:

	https://git.kolab.org/project/profile/106/

git repo:

	https://git.kolab.org/diffusion/EI/

workboard: