[erlang-questions] Porint erlang on rumpkernel

Neeraj Sharma neerajsharma.live@REDACTED
Wed Aug 26 08:25:07 CEST 2015

Hi,

I am trying to port erlang on rumpkernel and running into some issues.
RumpKernel do not have fork/execve, so there are some constraints. Please
note that I am new to erlang internals, so please be a bit more verbose.

1. Erlang allocates pages which are aligned to superblock. I found strange
pthread issues and debug it to due to the mmap allocation which does
multiple allocation/deallocation to get the desired alignment. Can this be
changed to align on just the pagesize instead? Is the alignment a strict
requirement?

2. Erlang fork/execve, which is bad when running on rump because there is
no such support at present. I am trying to run beam directly and even got a
shell but then things fail while trying to run erlang application. I
suspect that there are more fork at other places (probably for port). There
are couple of things I'd like to know in this case.

2.1 What is the best way to run beam directly (instead of going via erl)?

2.2 Can I change fork/execve to pthread_create instead?

Thanks,
Neeraj