[erlang-questions] How can I make a list of this

Roelof Wobben r.wobben@REDACTED
Thu Aug 20 08:17:32 CEST 2015

Op 20-8-2015 om 8:00 schreef Richard A. O'Keefe:
> On 20/08/2015, at 12:13 am, Roelof Wobben <r.wobben@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> oke, but I do not have a list of tuples but a list of lists that contain tuples,
>>
>> So I have this  [ [ {1,2}, {2,3}],  [ { 1,3} , { 2,1} ] ]
>>
>> and I do experiment a lot in erl but I seem to be lost.
> Many years ago when I was a teenager I wanted to learn to fly
> an aeroplane.  My father took me to a local aerodrome and had
> me given lesson 1.  It was great.  I could *do* this.  To get
> lesson 2, I had to get a student pilot licence.  So I had to
> have a medical examination, ECG, the works.  And I was rejected
> on the grounds that I needed glasses.
>
> I'm still upset by that.  I had heard of lots of flying accidents
> caused by people flying in circumstances (low to the ground) or
> conditions (darkness, clouds) that they were not trained for,
> in order to show off or at least not to look bad to their
> companions.  I had never heard (and still haven't) of an accident
> caused by someone's glasses falling off.  And there was NO test
> to probe "which would you prefer? To look like an idiot to your
> friends, or to put their lives at risk?"
>
> Personal application: asking for help on this list about
> points that seem pretty obvious to the people answering does
> not make you look impressive.  At first sight!  To me, it
> makes you look like someone I *might* trust to fly me.  To
> be brutally honest, I sometimes get the feeling "oh no, not
> another message from Roelof Wobben", but heck, I'm *paid*
> to teach people about programming.  (OK, so those are
> *other* people who are enrolled here.  But still...)  But
> there's _always_ something to learn from giving a lesson.
>
> Let me get to the point.  In preparation for the lessons I
> thought I was going to get, I read a couple of books.  In
> one of them I found this advice:
>
>     When something goes wrong,
>     DON'T JUST DO SOMETHING, SIT THERE!
>
> I've come across basically the same advice in several contexts,
> including dealing with stroppy lawnmowers.
>
>     DON'T JUST DO SOMETHING, SIT THERE!
>
> What is my present situation?
> How do I want it to be different?
> Is the problem that I have the one I thought I had?
> What I was doing just now was wrong, maybe I should stop doing that.
> Can I approach this another way?
> What if I just take it apart, clean the parts, and put them
> together again (works for lawnmowers but NOT aeroplanes in flight)?
> Maybe I should take the dog for a walk as a distraction.
> (If you can do that from an aeroplane in flight you have a
> very strange dog.)
>
> A well known phenomenon is "regression under stress to first
> learned behaviour".
>
>     1. Learn method M1.
>     2. Learn method M2 which is better in some way.
>     3. Be put under stress.
>     4. Be given a task for which M2 is more appropriate.
> OOPS.  We tend to revert to M1.
>
> Floundering around lost while programming is stressful, and
> [...]

I think that is one part of the problem,
The other part is that I "just" started with Erlang so the language is
unfamiliir in terms of
which part casn help me solve the problem. Is it a LC  or a map or just
pattern matching.
The last part can , in my oponion , only be solved by doing things. I
could read a thousand
books but to solve a problem myself I learn a lot more.

Roelof

---