[erlang-questions] how to make beautifulll code of this working code

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Tue Aug 11 15:05:41 CEST 2015

> Thanks for the feedback.
> I will try again to make this work with the help of your comments and with
> error checking.
> I get more and more the feeling that etudes are not the right exercises to
> work on for learning good erlang.
> Maybe I can better go back to programming erlang and do the exercises of
> that book and google for better exercises.

I think the exchanges here have shown that there's no perfect source
of learning, but rather it's the process that counts. I know you're
paying close attention to all this as I see you questions and focus
improving. You're making progress, make no mistake!

Don't give up on the etudes if you're working through them! But
perhaps consider additional sources as well - and when you see some
conflicts in the material, raise them as questions here. There are a
*ton* of great resources online and in print form. Others here I'm
sure will weigh in with links for you.

As for exercises, I tend to skip those from the books and just find a
problem in time and space that's interesting to me. Then I'll use the
language to work on that problem. *Build something* that's meaningful
to you personally and that will drive a huge chunk of learning.

Another technique I use when learning a new language is to read others' code.

I personally have learned from reading Ulf Wiger's code and can
recommend it (there are of course others, but I'm picking on him
today)

This is a good read:

https://github.com/uwiger/gproc

If you want to play around with gproc (you should - it's easy from the
shell) start with the docs from README.

Any material can be subject to critique, but that doesn't make it
harmful. Your best friends at this point might be persistence and
patience.

Garrett