[erlang-questions] Possibly memory leak in R17

Lukas Larsson lukas@REDACTED
Fri May 2 11:10:49 CEST 2014

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 7:31 AM, Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@REDACTED> wrote:

> Before I've added this problem was not only with memory usage. When server
> allocated 12 GB RAM, it was performing very badly.

When you say performing badly, how do you notice this? increased latency?
CPU load?

I assume that is quite hard to setup a test system that replicates the
behaviour?

If it is not possible to simulate the problem a couple of additional
measurements that would be helpful are:

1) Saving recon_alloc snapshots at regular intervals (every minute maybe)
up until the system reaches the bad state. It should not add a noticeable
overhead to the system, and is something I recommend most people to do
anyways if this kind of thing were to happen.
2) Sending me a core file generated by either kill -ABRT $PID or through
gdb https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/Core-File-Generation.html,
and the beam.smp (erts-6.0/bin/beam.smp) that you are running.

We have a couple of ideas about what could cause the mbcs pool to behave
this way, but can of course not be sure until we test the potential
solutions. We would probably also need your help with testing when we have
a solution in place as this is a behaviour we have not been able to
reproduce in our tests.

Lukas