[erlang-questions] No JSON/MAPS interoperability in 17.0?

Paul Davis paul.joseph.davis@REDACTED
Mon Mar 17 07:44:21 CET 2014

For extra nerdery on round-tripping floats one of the (historically)
oft-requested enhancements for Jiffy was to print 1.1 as "1.1" instead
of "1.10000000000000008882000000000000" which is always cumbersome.
The standard Googling leads to dtoa.c which depends on processor
rounding modes amongst other things. Luckily a lot of this was yanked
from V8 into a usable library [1].

The rest of this conversation has wandered a bit too much for me to
spend much time following. The basics I'd say are that if you want a
fast value-based (DOM?) parser, use Jiffy. If you want a streaming
(SAX?) or pure-erlang parser, use jsx.

Alisdair and I have talked extensively about most minute details of
JSON parsing and our libraries are about as close as they're gonna get
in terms of API compatibility. If Erlang decides to choose one or the
other one of us is gonna be happy and the other will be sad and have
to rewrite a lot of code or not use the builtin. Though I'd point out
that the builtin won't actually be "standard" until 3-5 years from now
so its probably not a huge issue either way.

And just because I haven't heard from Alisdair recently I have to
point out that {[]} is still the One True Empty Object representation.
[{}] is just atrocious.

[1] https://code.google.com/p/double-conversion/