[erlang-questions] otp / behavior / cowboy_websocket_handler

Mike Oxford moxford@REDACTED
Mon Mar 10 23:31:15 CET 2014

Erlang behaviours are, I believe and for lack of a better term, interface
definitions.  It says what is required to be implemented to be a valid
behaviour.  Once it's compiled and verified I do not believe that it's ever
used again.  It does not actually "do" anything since it's just a
specification.

It looks like ws_handler:websocket_init/3 starts a 1 second timer.
When that timer fires then you're seeing the 1 second handler, which is
ws_handler.
The "loop" you're expecting to see is in websocket_app:start/2 where you
register the callbacks (such as ws_handler) for cowboy:start_http/3

So cowboy:start/3 takes in the ws_handler definition, inits it (and that
init starts the 1s timer.)  Every time it fires (eg, every 1 seconds) the
cowboy system will hit the ws_handler callback (which, since it's
a cowboy_websocket_handler behaviour, is known to have a websocket_handle/3
function.)

HTH.

-mox