[erlang-questions] Intel Xeon Phi

Darach Ennis darach@REDACTED
Mon Jun 23 17:30:10 CEST 2014

Hi guys,

There are some benchmarks for MPI here
https://www.xsede.org/documents/271087/586927/Panda-dk-mic.pdf
for Xeon Phi clusters. The ACM paper refers to the bencherl benchmark - so
this would allow easy comparison of Erlang
on a traditional intel based system and the Phi. However, what is missing
is a comparison of native only vs erlang to
get some idea of the overhead of erlang-based usage of the Phi verses pure
native usage.

With Steve's dirty schedulers around the corner it might be better for
certain algorithms to have a NIF based hook into native
code running on the Phi with an abstraction similar to CUDA's concurrent
kernel execution facility for a reasonably
sane and easy to use integrated environment that insulates end users from
device/host concurrency and memory
abstractions.

Kevin Smith has an open source CUDA framework that balances these concerns
very well:

https://github.com/kevsmith/pteracuda

However, as it seems Erlang can run natively on the Phi it is far more
interesting potentially for folk running
complex simulations with large numbers of processes. If anyone has
attempted or succeeded in using the Phi
for simulations or analytics with pure Erlang or Erlang as a control plane
I and I imagine many others would be
interested in an experience report...

Effective use of coprocessors tends to be very domain specific in terms of
benefits verses concerns. But, the Phi
seems to support running Erlang on-core. This is very exciting as
frameworks are dropping to C is the usual case.

Cheers,

Darach.