[erlang-questions] Calls for Talks: Commercial Users of Functional Programming

Francesco Cesarini francesco@REDACTED
Thu Jun 19 19:27:49 CEST 2014

It would be great to see Erlang represented at the CUFP workshop in
Gothenburg September 4-6th. Deadline for submissions is June 27th, so
still a few days to bang your heads together and come up with ideas.
More info is available on the CUFP website:
http://cufp.org/2014/call-for-presentations.html

The annual CUFP workshop is a place where people can see how others are
using functional programming to solve real world problems; where
practitioners meet and collaborate; where language designers and users
can share ideas about the future of their favorite language; and where
one can learn practical techniques and approaches for putting functional
programming to work.

Giving a CUFP Talk
If you have experience using functional languages in a practical
setting, we invite you to submit a proposal to give a talk at the
workshop. We're looking for two kinds of talks:

Experience reports are typically 25 minutes long, and aim to inform
participants about how functional programming plays out in real-world
applications, focusing especially on lessons learned and insights
gained. Experience reports don't need to be highly technical;
reflections on the commercial, management, or software engineering
aspects are, if anything, more important.

Technical talks are also 25 minutes long, and should focus on teaching
the audience something about a particular technique or methodology, from
the point of view of someone who has seen it play out in practice. These
talks could cover anything from techniques for building functional
concurrent applications, to managing dynamic reconfigurations, to design
recipes for using types effectively in large-scale applications. While
these talks will often be based on a particular language, they should be
accessible to a broad range of programmers.

We strongly encourage submissions from people in communities that are
underrepresented in functional programming, including but not limited to
women; people of color; people in gender, sexual and romantic
minorities; people with disabilities; people residing in Asia, Africa,
or Latin America; and people who have never presented at a conference
before. We recognize that inclusion is an important part of our mission
to promote functional programming. So that CUFP can be a safe
environment in which participants openly exchange ideas, we abide by the
SIGPLAN Conference Anti-Harassment Policy.

If you are interested in offering a talk, or nominating someone to do
so, please submit your presentation before 27 June 2014 via the

CUFP 2014 Presentation Submission Form

You do not need to submit a paper, just a short proposal for your talk!
There will be a short scribe's report of the presentations and
discussions but not of the details of individual talks, as the meeting
is intended to be more a discussion forum than a technical interchange.

Nevertheless, presentations will be video taped and presenters will be
expected to sign an ACM copyright release form.

Note that we will need all presenters to register for the CUFP workshop
and travel to Gothenburg at their own expense.

--
Erlang Solutions Ltd.
http://www.erlang-solutions.com