[erlang-questions] ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly

Miles Fidelman mfidelman@REDACTED
Tue Jul 8 23:46:35 CEST 2014

Mark Nijhof wrote:

> It is not funny anymore how many people think that someone writes a
> book for money. Even when self publishing there is not a lot of money
> to be made, I use LeanPub and am very happy with the platform/service
> they offer. And the royalties are good as well, but I need to pay for
> the cover design, the website (if you want something else then the
> default) and for editors to help me improve my content. So far it has
> cost me money.

That does require a comment.  A lot of people DO write for money, though
not necessarily looking for all that money to come from book sales.
Academics "publish or perish."  Consultants as a marketing vehicle.  And
yes, there are people who actually make a living from writing books.

But yes, there are also non-monetary reasons for writing a book -
consolidating learning, as an excuse to do some personal research,
putting experience or thoughts on paper, promoting a position, and so
forth.  Even then, few have the luxury to do that without some means of
support - we all have to eat.  If one is retired, has a job that
includes writing as a part of it (can you say academia?), an
understanding employer (or an employer who benefits from your writing),
that's great.  Otherwise, a grant, a fellowship, or some form of income
is required.
> Writing is a huge amount of work, and it is a shame writers don't see
> more of the results.

Absolutely.  Writing is real work.  One of the reasons my next book will
be self-published.

Cheers,

Miles Fidelman