[erlang-questions] What problem are we trying to solve here? [was Erland users group [was re: languages in use? [was: Time for OTP to be Renamed?]]]

André Graf andre.graf@REDACTED
Tue Feb 18 10:20:18 CET 2014

I think the PHP community took a huge step when the tools 'composer'
(PHP's rebar) and 'packagist.org' came out. The way packagist work is
straight forward, you provide a repository url (Git/Svn/Hg) and it
crawls the package that contains a composer.json file (could be a
rebar.config, an *.app.src file, or something else, but common ground is
needed here). The package is typically crawled once a day or if e.g a
GitHub hook gets triggered. Package versions are managed on the
repository side using tags. The combo Packagist/Composer is certainly
not the holy grail, but it solves many problems, it is easy to use (for
maintainers as well as for the users of the package), and it looks
straightforward to be implemented in Erlang. ;)