[erlang-questions] erlang-questions Digest, Vol 153, Issue 2

Kevin Archie karchie@REDACTED
Mon Feb 17 14:08:14 CET 2014

On Feb 16, 2014, at 1:05 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> As to Go - it's a toy - Google or no Google, I don't see any systems
> being built in it (the jury is still out on Clojure - another Google
> project that has a clear rational and a lot more backing).

Not to pick nits (he says before starting to pick nits), but:

Docker (http://docker.io) is in Go. I've been hearing 10x more in the last year about this one Go system than all Erlang projects combined. Okay, buzz intensity doesn't necessarily translate into success, but it's a very interesting project that solves real problems for us, and from what I hear, a lot of other people. I don't see any reason why it couldn't have been written in Erlang, but there it is, in Go.

Also, I'm not aware of any connection between Clojure and Google, other than that ClojureScript uses the Google Closure JS compiler as an intermediate stage. Clojure  took off from the grassroots, without any big corporate backing, and most of the language development is still done by the BDFL and his smallish consulting firm. (I'm a big fan of Clojure, but I don't think Docker could have been written in it. JVM underneath makes your language not a systems programming language.)

  - Kevin