[erlang-questions] What problem are we trying to solve here? [was Erland users group [was re: languages in use? [was: Time for OTP to be Renamed?]]]

Jon Schneider jon@REDACTED
Mon Feb 17 13:46:34 CET 2014

> Perl's CPAN repository really is the most amazing repository system I've
> seen

Amazing at what ?

In my experience it asks lots of questions about what options you want for
a package I never feel confident answering. Can I revisit my choices ?

There seem to be gadzillions of packages to do things like parse a date or
an HTTP response and packages to do some of these seem to depend on more
complicated packages.

It seems to keep wanting to update itself. "should be a seamless upgrade".
Sometimes it is.

Lots of tests seem to fail. Sometimes it knows they're supposed to fail
and sometimes you're left scratching your head.

Many roads lead to perl 6 being built.

I've head the displeasure of CPAN going back to the mid 90s and it's still
a steaming heap as far as I'm concerned. I'm glad I stopped writing more
than the very occasional bit of perl a long time ago.

Jon