[erlang-questions] languages in use? [was: Time for OTP to be Renamed?]

Sun Feb 16 21:38:36 CET 2014

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Miles Fidelman
<mfidelman@REDACTED>wrote:

> Nice piece.
>
> What's frightening about it  is how closely those requirements also scream
> "Ada"  - which seems to have become the language of choice for aviation
> software - both hard real-time fly-by-wire software and massively
> distributed systems for air traffic control.  (Dare I say it, another
> language that "flys under the radar." :-)
>
> Talk about divergent solutions to similar requirements.

I'll claim that they cover different areas. The key difference is hard vs
soft real time. Where Ada can work with the former, Erlang relaxes the
requirement to soft realtime and gains a lot of benefits by doing so.

--
J.