[erlang-questions] Time for OTP to be Renamed?

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Sun Feb 16 11:40:38 CET 2014

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 11:06:08AM +0100, Joacim Grebenö wrote:
}  I would only use the gen_server iff I needed hot code loading/upgrading.
}  In the real world, and in the majority of cases, that seldom is needed.
}
}  IMHO and within my experience of course.

Lest other, less experienced, readers get the impression that it is that
simple let me just provide this pointer:

   http://www.erlang.org/doc/design_principles/spec_proc.html

To write a program which will work (properly) in an OTP compliant system,
you must receive and handle a number of system messages.  Without OTP
compliance you have no supervision, debugging, release handling, observer
and I don't know what else.  You are free to do so but I wouldn't recommend
this route for anyone else who hasn't mastered the environment.

--
	-Vance