[erlang-questions] Time for OTP to be Renamed?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman@REDACTED
Fri Feb 14 15:27:46 CET 2014

José Valim wrote:

>     Seems to me that scarcity is a GOOD thing for Erlang programmers.
>     Java coders are a dime a dozen (not necessarily good ones, mind
>     you).  Folks who know Erlang are harder to find - should drive the
>     price up.
>

> Scarcity means less jobs, less research, less money. This means
> developers won't be able to work with their favorite language or, if
> they do, they need to settle for the few available options/companies.

Obviously you don't understand the nature of supply and demand curves.
(Check out the demand and prices for Cobol programmers these days, or
analog engineers.  For that matter, check out the demand for folks who
understand microwaves - as soon as computer clock speeds started going
up, there was a huge demand for folks who understood waveguide
phenomenon - which had practically become a dead art; and then along
came cell phones and WiFi).

>     Short version:  If I were hiring for a project that was inherently
>     concurrent, and required 24x7 operation - I'd be LOOKING for
>     Erlang on a resume.  Someone who spent most of their time coding
>     Java would be a non-starter.
>

> The chances are, if a company is building a project that is inherently
> concurrent, they are doing it in Java, .NET, etc. So while people
> could look for developers with Erlang in their resume, they would
> ultimately be hired to work with *something other than Erlang*. And
> that would actually be a smart career move if you are main concern is
> money:
>
> http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/default.aspx?page=1&sortby=3&orderby=1&q=Java+erlang&id=0&lid=2618

Well, to me, a company that is building something that is inherently
concurrent, in Java, is a company to run away from.

Miles Fidelman