[erlang-questions] Time for OTP to be Renamed?

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Thu Feb 13 19:25:57 CET 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 2:09 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@REDACTED>wrote:

> >> [...]
> >> Or if I wanted to use Erlang for writing small administration scripts
> that's probably also what I would do, as the fast boot is a really
> important feature there.
>

> > It is such a jolly good idea that Joe spends a whole appendix in his
> book about doing just that.
> > (Appendix 3, "A Simple Execution Environment".)

Which boots in 20 ms (on the same machine OTP takes 1.1 seconds)

Note that OTP was designed for systems that run for ever - not shell
scripts. 1.1 seconds
amortized over a few years is not a problem - so there is not attempt to
optimize this.

The 20ms that my stand-alone system takes *was* optimised for quick start
and could be
made even quicker - but this would require hard work.

Cheers

/Joe