[erlang-questions] Google Summer of Code 2014 with the BEAM Community

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Tue Feb 4 15:30:21 CET 2014

Hello,

Perhaps I've been too busy last year or something but what happened to
the 2013 projects? I'm not even sure what most of them were, and I don't
think I've heard of one even being merged/released. I remember looking
at the mailing list at some point just before the end and had no clue
what the reports were talking about either.

Any chance this year it could be a little more transparent for people
who can't invest all their time in following it?

As it stands now I have no idea if any project benefited from it.
Perhaps this is something that could be useful for my projects, but it
doesn't really sound like it right now.

On 02/04/2014 11:33 AM, José Valim wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Last year we have created the BEAM Community organization meant to host
> different projects that run on the Erlang VM. We had 6 students working
> on different projects during the summer, like Elixir, Disco, Mongoose IM
> and others.
>
> The Google Summer of Code 2014 has just announced they are looking for
> organizations to participate in this year edition. Historically, Google
> has given higher preference for umbrella organizations and therefore we
> will participate this year again!
>
> The BEAM Community website for 2014 is online:
> http://beamcommunity.github.io/
>
> The first step is to gather a set of projects that are interested in
> taking part of the BEAM Community. So if you run a project in the Erlang
> VM and you are interested in mentoring a student during the summer,
> please send me an e-mail! At this stage, all we need is the project name
> and a list of ideas / proposals for students to work on. You can use the
> ideas from last year as inspiration / template
> <https://github.com/beamcommunity/beamcommunity.github.com/blob/master/2013/Home.md>.
>
> We are planning to host 6 projects, the same amount as last year and the
> deadline for joining us / putting up your list of ideas is 11th
> February. Google's deadline is 14th february but we need some time to
> put everything together. The full program timetable can be found online
> too <http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2014>!
>
> If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
> You may also ask projects that took part last year if you are interested
> on how the program works.
>
> I'm looking forward to another great summer!
>

> *
> *José Valim*
> www.plataformatec.com.br <http://www.plataformatec.com.br/>
> Founder and Lead Developer