[erlang-questions] The quest for the perfect programming language for massive concurrency.

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Sat Feb 1 20:11:03 CET 2014

I would add one more feature of Erlang that I don't think has been
mentioned: the community is one of the best you will find in all of
software.

To illustrate, please refer to this email thread, which I came across:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/erlang-programming/t3jbMyKPLdw

Here you have someone who is asking very honest questions about Erlang
vis-a-vis other languages. In many communities, this sort of question,
while not intended to do so, would spark a series of flame wars and
religious zealotry. But this question, on the Erlang list, brought
forth some of the most brilliant and thoughtful contributions to
important problems in software I've ever seen.

What is this worth in your comparison of languages?

As an aside, I think this particular email thread, which I came
across, should be printed without editing as a pamphlet and handed out
at user groups and software conferences as a treatise on core
principles of language and tool design and civil discourse. If others
are willing to join me, I would consider shaving my head and wearing
brightly colors robes and do this.

Garrett