[erlang-questions] The quest for the perfect programming language for massive concurrency.

Tim Stewart tim@REDACTED
Sat Feb 1 19:07:56 CET 2014

Hello,

On 01/31/2014 01:03 PM, Attila Rajmund Nohl wrote:
> 2014-01-30 kraythe .<kraythe@REDACTED>:
> [...]
>> >The tools are, well frankly, garbage. Sorry, in 2014 to be pushed back to
>> >coding with VIM and makefiles is primitive. Rebar is crytptic and just the
>> >pet project of a guy on GIT. Compared to Gradle, Maven and even (though I
>> >don't care for it much) SBT, rebar is ... lacking. I want to spend time
>> >working on my business logic, not fighting tools. There are plugins for
>> >eclipse and intellij but they have minimal functionality and i keep
>> >reverting back to vim.
> In some sense you're right, in some sense not. In a previous project
> our "integration build" was quite slow, when behaviors were modified,
> everything was recompiled because our Makefiles lacked proper
> dependencies. So some automatic dependecy generator would be nice (I
> don't know what rebar does). On the other hand in the normal

The compile module (http://erlang.org/doc/man/compile.html) supports
generating Makefile rules to track header dependencies via the `makedep'
option.  You can also invoke this via erlc's `-M' option.

This may not be the solution to Attila's integration build dependency
problems, but I feel it is worth mentioning in the context of this thread.

-TimS

--
Tim Stewart
tim@REDACTED