[erlang-questions] mesos and erlang

Duncan McGreggor duncan@REDACTED
Wed Dec 31 00:16:29 CET 2014

I feel like we've come in on the middle of a conversation ... I'm not sure
what you mean by "typically" in this case. The implication being that this
might be a very natural thing to do in the Erlang community, building web
apps using Mesos?

A little background: Mesos' initial (and I believe still primary) use case
is abstracting computing resources at the data center level. Though the
project uses many of the same terms that one uses to describe Erlang
applications, the two are (for the most part) addressing very different
things.

The typical web app in Erlang is built using Cowboy, YAWS, Nitrogen,
ChicagoBoss, etc. Mesos now supports Docker, and you can run Erlang apps in
Docker containers, so that's definitely a possibility. I haven't heard
anyone talking about deploying Erlang on Mesos, but there might be folks on
this list who have done so.

To better answer your question, we'd need to know more about what you were
trying to do... build a PaaS for running web apps? Use an existing PaaS for
the same? Run a fault-tolerant web app on more traditional setups
(e.g.,multiple lb'ed machines)? The possible combinations of web app
frameworks and deployment mechanisms are great in number and essentially
boil down to your particular needs, experience, and preference (like most
things).

If anyone on the list is deploying Erlang apps across large numbers of
compute resources in a data center (e.g., 1000s of hardware nodes), it
would be fascinating to hear from them. There are folks from Heroku (AWS
infrastructure) on this list and probably Joyent, too ... they might have
useful anecdotes to share...