[erlang-questions] Onboarding programmers who are new to Erlang

Daniel Pezely dpezely@REDACTED
Thu Aug 28 20:29:32 CEST 2014

Having facilitated this type of learning curve many times, it ultimately comes down to holding someone's interest.

Give them a driving problem to solve that is relevant and interesting to them, and a resourceful person will find ways to teach themselves.

That said, for Erlang specifically, I've given these recommendations and caveats:
  1. Start with Learn You Some Erlang-- low barrier to entry, and it's just what you need to get into the material.
  2. Get Armstrong's 2nd Edition-- more thorough for explaining *why* things are the way they are.
  3. Go through the "4 day course" http://www.erlang.org/course/course.html

It doesn't have to be sequential; in fact, I'd suggest taking a break from one to begin the next and interleave the material to keep it fresh.

But everyone learns differently.  Some would do better by following screencasts as their starting point.  Others should begin by shadowing someone with more experience or getting a tour of existing code for which they already understand something about its user-facing features.

-Daniel

--
dpezely@REDACTED