[erlang-questions] Onboarding programmers who are new to Erlang

Juan Facorro juan.facorro@REDACTED
Thu Aug 28 20:14:36 CEST 2014

Hi Leonard,

I've been working at Inaka for the past three months as an Erlang developer and it was the first time I had any contact with the language, although I am far from "fresh out of college" and I had some previous practice with other functional languages (Common Lisp, Clojure and some Haskell), you might find my experience still useful.

Fred Hébert's "Learn you some Erlang" was a really good resource to get me started with the basics of the language. The first few chapters are mostly about functional programming concepts, which serves as good practice if the person does not have that much experience with FP. Later on the subjects of concurrency, OTP and releases are explained, which is where the real meat is IMO, although in all fairness I still haven't read the chapters about distributed Erlang systems, sockets, ETS and other subjects. Some of these last topics I learned by doing, like common test, maps and such.

Another thing which was pretty cool was that I got to work on an open source project [1] (a tiny one but still) the same week I started working with Erlang. It got me started with things such as behaviors, unit testing, make &  Makefiles, rebar, etc. I learned a lot from just having a project to work on, plus I felt like I was not only learning but doing something useful.

The Erlang team at Inaka had a list of stuff that needed to be done, so after I finished with the tiny project, we voted on what I would do next. The project that we voted turned out to be a little more ambitious (technically speaking) than my previous one, but it was lots of fun [2]. It was really cool to have a say on what my next project would be. This project lasted around a month or so, after which I started working on a client project :D.

I guess the learning approach should be adapted to the learner, in my case I'm more of a hands-on person with a keen interest in knowing how stuff works, so having a friendly reference book (Learn you some...) while working on different projects was pretty awesome for me and I think I turned out a pretty decent Erlang developer, only time will tell :P

Hope it helps,

Juan

[1]: https://github.com/inaka/lasse
[2]: https://github.com/inaka/elvis