[erlang-questions] [ANN]: application deployment script

Dmitry Kolesnikov dmkolesnikov@REDACTED
Tue Aug 5 19:55:36 CEST 2014

Hello,

Please treat this message as blog post, I am sharing my practice on application management and releasing.
I am dealing with hybrid environment. I do not have company wide Erlang knowledge. I do have needs to build standalone Erlang software service deployable to hosts on network. My goal was to produce a stand-alone package that contains all dependencies including Erlang VM, enable development on Mac and deployment to Linux… I’ve investigated various build solution such as GNU autotools with custom M4 macros, application packaging as depicted by Erlang OTP In Action, rebar, reltool, erlang.mk and other. However, there is set of requirements which needs to be addressed to simplify production operation, see link. I think that rebar and reltool with naive Makefile glue allows to achieve them. Honestly, I am confused why some people complain about rebar. I have made an effort to depict my release cycles and share my Makefile with community.

https://github.com/fogfish/makefile

It is streamlined for Mac OS and Linux CentOS...

Best Regards,
Dmitry