[erlang-questions] Unable to start mnesia DB.

Karolis Petrauskas k.petrauskas@REDACTED
Tue Apr 15 06:57:47 CEST 2014

Hi,

Recently this problem reappeared: my mnesia DB started to load very
slowly. The main problem was single disc_copies table with ~500k small
records. This time it was loading for 35 minutes. This table is of
type "bag" and has one secondary index.

Based on previous emails, I assumed that the problems are caused by
the index. I dropped the index, altrough observed no notable
improvement (in startup time). Then I changed table to
disc_only_copies. The DB started to load fast (<1min) event with
secondary index (I have recreated it).

Another strange thing here is that the mnesia:foldl/3 for this table
was very slow. I was just copying several fields from this table to
another table. I have aborted this operation after waiting for several
hours. The foldl operation completed in ~2 minutes after i changed the
source table type from disc_copies to disc_only_copies.

Currently I think the problem is related to uniqueness of the key in
the table. For some time the application worked so, that each key had
not more than 100 records per key (the table is of type "bag").
Recently the application started to generate more records (1k or event
10k) per key.

Is it normal/expected behaviour of Mnesia, or should I try to create
scripts for reproducing this problem and report it as a bug?

The application is running on Erlang R16B02 on Debian OS.

Karolis