[erlang-questions] Store maps in ets/dets?

Björn-Egil Dahlberg egil@REDACTED
Thu Apr 10 18:33:38 CEST 2014

On 2014-04-10 18:14, Michael Loftis wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 2:09 AM, Jesper Louis Andersen
> <jesper.louis.andersen@REDACTED> wrote:
>> The semantics of maps is that of a persistent data type. ETS is ephemeral.
>> So the fit is not good. Furthermore, maps are living int he process heap and
>> thus, they are automatically garbage collected. ETS is manually collected in
>> contrast. So the fit is even worse.
>>
> I think you might mean the opposite here....that maps is ephemeral and
> ETS is persistent (or can be persistent using DETS anyway)

I don't like the word ephemeral here =)

Persistent is used all over to describe Maps as immutable. Though if you
have a database background the meaning of "persistent" is of course
another. Describing ETS as persistent is stretching it a bit far.

Maps are copied on update (atleast the values are copied) i.e. Maps are
immutable and in some circles this is equivalent to persistent.

// Björn-Egil