[erlang-questions] Difference in 'close' for gen_tcp recv vs. active

Garret Smith garret.smith@REDACTED
Wed Apr 9 01:25:23 CEST 2014

Basically, this has everything to do with TCP sockets (and the OS
implementation) and very little to do with Erlang.  I do get {error,
closed} from gen_tcp:send when the client disconnects.  I'm running
R16B03-1 on FreeBSD 10.

Here are some decent descriptions of the problem:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/programming-9/how-could-server-detect-closed-client-socket-using-tcp-and-c-824615/

The second answer in the page above has some good links too, pulled out for
easy reference:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/722240/instantly-detect-client-disconnection-from-server-socket
http://www.softlab.ntua.gr/facilities/documentation/unix/unix-socket-faq/unix-socket-faq-2.html#ss2.8

-Garret