[erlang-questions] RE Fwd: FW: Maximising memory compactness

Olivier BOUDEVILLE olivier.boudeville@REDACTED
Fri Apr 4 16:11:29 CEST 2014

Hi,

> As a matter of fact, the half-word emulator will be deprecated in
> OTP 17.0, which will be released next week. The reason for that is
> that there have been very few (if any) users; and thus, the
> maintenance costs outweigh its value.
>
> Andreas Schumacher, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB

Thanks to all for your pieces of advice; so we will stay away from the
half-word emulator then (despite its interesting features), and probably
bet on multiple 32-bit VMs instead.

Jesper: I should have mentioned that we are not using ETS (just many
processes, each looping over its own state, seen as a mere Erlang term).

Daniel : indeed, in terms of memory, we would lose, for each additional
node, the base footprint of a blank VM + application-specific modules and
all; but I think overall we would still gain *a lot* (of course this would
deserve being verified!); currently processings and data are rather
well-dispatched, everything is quite fine grain, hence we can keep a
uniform solution (no ETS node or alike); the goal of an increased in-RAM
compactness is to be able to reduce the number of nodes, which we believe
is the biggest showstopper in terms of scaling

Thanks for your answers!

Best regards,

Olivier.