[erlang-questions] Fwd: FW: Maximising memory compactness

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED
Fri Apr 4 14:24:54 CEST 2014

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Andreas Schumacher wrote:
> As a matter of fact, the half-word emulator will be deprecated in
> OTP 17.0, which will be released next week. The reason for that is
> that there have been very few (if any) users; and thus, the
> maintenance costs outweigh its value.

FWIW, I use it. But more importantly, how did you measure the number
of users? For comparison, JVM's compressed oops has been default
enabled for a long time, but to be precise it's not _exactly_ the same
thing.

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/vm/performance-enhancements-7.html
"Compressed oops is supported and enabled by default in Java SE 6u23
and later. In Java SE 7, use of compressed oops is the default for
64-bit JVM processes when -Xmx isn't specified and for values of -Xmx
less than 32 gigabytes."

https://wikis.oracle.com/display/HotSpotInternals/CompressedOops

That said, what about implementing x32 ABI support as an alternative?
As far as I can tell this would have to be explicitly implemented in
HiPE too.