[erlang-questions] An answer: how does SASL know that a process died?

Anthony Ramine n.oxyde@REDACTED
Thu Oct 31 13:14:42 CET 2013

There is a way:

https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/77bf7dfa0cc6d99c426d4057da8446dc51cea7aa/erts/emulator/beam/utils.c#L1648-1651

You can see in this code comment that what is actually sent is a format string and a list of args. We could add textual parts to the trivial "~s~n" format string and make the list of arguments more structured.

To handle the truncation of stack traces, I would use a first ref() argument which is ignored at the start of the format string and use that ref to identify "holes" in the copied terms, i.e. put that reference when copying where ‘...’ would have been printed previously. Clever depth arguments would make io continue to print ‘…’ where these references will occur.

--
Anthony Ramine