[erlang-questions] An answer: how does SASL know that a process died?

Richard Carlsson carlsson.richard@REDACTED
Thu Oct 31 13:02:17 CET 2013

Yes, when a process terminates abnormally (including uncaught throw/1,
but not when terminating due to exit/1), a message is sent to the error
logger.  This was never described in the Barklund draft (very few people
knew that anything special happened in that situation), but I discovered
it when I was working on exceptions - see the end of section 2.7 in
http://www.erlang.se/workshop/2004/exception.pdf, and it affected how
the final try/catch construction and the classification of exceptions
had to work. We also took the opportunity to describe this behaviour in
section 2.8 of "Erlang and OTP in Action". I can't find anything about
it anywhere in the OTP docs.

On a language specification level, it's pretty unfortunate that OTP made
this hard connection between something as basic as exceptions and a
high-level feature like the error logger. And as you observed, the
format it's being sent on is not good either. I'm not sure if that can
be changed or if it needs to remain backwards compatible with existing
code out there.

     /Richard