[erlang-questions] On Pull Requests Comments

Anthony Ramine n.oxyde@REDACTED
Tue Oct 22 14:44:58 CEST 2013

I didn't say it is a mute point, I just stated that it was not the intended move.

If the community as a whole should just use pull requests then I will reluctantly use pull requests. I have never argued for not using them, just that I don't really enjoy being forced to use them when I prefer the previous work flow.

Yes, GitHub can mail notifications. Yes, they can be archived. Do we have a bot that archives the various comments? No, we don't. Will people who start to contribute in a few years be able to look back at all the discussions that occurred before without such a bot? Maybe, maybe not, depends on whether GitHub is still alive or hasn't been bought by a less scrupulous entity (who knows).

Make a tool that does the same thing as the erlang-patches archive page from the PR comments and I will happily wave the white flag.

I am not arguing just for the sake of keeping my own work flow the same (nobody likes changing his habits, right?), but because it is arguably better in the long-term, with regard to archiving and not losing knowledge.

--
Anthony Ramine