[erlang-questions] Developing killer / open source apps

greim greim@REDACTED
Tue Nov 26 18:50:48 CET 2013

Am 26.11.2013 17:26, schrieb Miles Fidelman:
> Masklinn wrote:
>> Miles Fidelman wrote:

>>> Isn't that called USENET? :-)
>>>
>> It’s true that USENET is decentralised, but it still has servers, and
>> AFAIK most usenet traffic is not encrypted. Sounds more like a darknet,
>> like W.A.S.T.E or Freenet.
>
> Not to be pedantic, but USENET meets "no central server" but not "peer
> to peer" (unless, of course, each peer is running a server). But yes,
> Freenet is probably closer in spirit.
>
> Having said that - does anybody remember the "Netscape Collaboration
> Server?" Essentially a collaborative environment built on top of NTTP.
> (As I recall), it used all the encryption options available w/ NNTP,
> added a directory service and access controls (cryptographically
> enforced if I remember correctly). Essentially it made it trivial to set
> up private, secure newsgroups for work groups. Unfortunately, all traces
> of it seem to have disappeared after AOL bought Netscape. I keep
> thinking it would be worth rebuilding.

At the Univ. Paderborn, Germany, they had developed a framework:

http://p2pframework.com/?lang=en

The framework source should be published "soon", whenever it is.

And there is a system called Tribler. Any experience with it?

I heard that the German Telekom is sponsoring such developments, but i
can't remember where and how.

Markus Greim