[erlang-questions] erlang:halt() cannot terminate the Erlang VM

Patrik Nyblom pan@REDACTED
Mon Mar 18 16:47:04 CET 2013

Hi!
On 03/14/2013 02:18 PM, skyman wrote:
> Hi all,
> I encounter this problem: erlang:halt() cannot terminate the Erlang
> VM. Then I user "kill -USR1 erlpid" to kill the Erlang VM process, and
> get an Erlang crash dump, it indicates that there are some "Scheduled"
> processes.
> I want to know  under what cases erlang:halt() cannot terminate the
> Erlang VM, for example, existing "Scheduled" processes?
> Thanks in advance!

What version of OTP are you using and on what platform? Erlang:halt only
stops for flushing I/O of stdin/stdout. That has changed slightly in
later releases. Is pending I/O something that could be the cause in your
case?

Cheers,
/Patrik