[erlang-questions] Question about how to better use the debugger

Yves S. Garret yoursurrogategod@REDACTED
Sun Jun 23 15:05:30 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I've been trying to debug this method in module hello_world (just to learn):
fac(0) ->
  1;
fac(N) when N > 0, is_integer(N) ->
  N * fac(N - 1). % break-point

I have a break-point on the last line (where the comment is).  Now, when I
go
through the motions of debugging, it works fine.  I can see N being
decremented as
it should be.  However, when I get to fac(0), the method instantly returns
to the
caller (the shell).  In other debuggers (Visual Studio C#, for example),
I'd have the
option to go back up the entire recursive tree and see the multiplication
and the
results of the multiplication being done.  Can I do the same here?  If so,
what am I
missing?  Is there a better strategy than what I'm using in debugging?