[erlang-questions] Yang vs. ASN.1 (WAS: binary typed schema-less protocol)

Wojtek Narczyński wojtek@REDACTED
Tue Jul 30 16:02:04 CEST 2013

W dniu 2013-07-30 15:36, Ulf Wiger pisze:
> On 30 Jul 2013, at 15:19, Wojtek Narczyński <wojtek@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>>> Personally, I really prefer Yang over ASN.1.
>>>
>> Would your preference hold also for a business system, mean Orders, Invoices, and the like?
> Ehm, yes, but of course the above should have included "all things being equal…"
>
> I don't prefer Yang in places where ASN.1 is entrenched and expected, e.g. where ASN.1 *encoding* is in fact mandated.

My little dream is something like ASN.1 with readable textual encoding,
syntactically related to the specification language. RER (Readable
Encoding Rules), so to speak. Personally I find XML extremely
unreadable, so XER looks like a nightmare, rather than the fullfillment
of this dream. Plus binary encoding when everything works, and when
performance matters, but this is reality for a few decades now.

Anyway, thanks for the Yang hint, we'll definitely look into it.

--Kind regards,
Wojtek Narczynski