[erlang-questions] Yang vs. ASN.1 (WAS: binary typed schema-less protocol)

Wojtek Narczyński wojtek@REDACTED
Tue Jul 30 15:19:25 CEST 2013

W dniu 2013-07-30 10:27, Ulf Wiger pisze:
> On 30 Jul 2013, at 07:58, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> On 30/07/2013, at 2:25 AM, Wojtek Narczyński wrote:
>>> It makes me wonder, what is wrong with ASN.1?
>> The original poster explicitly asked for a >> schema-less << protocol.
>>
>> ASN.1 is very much schema-based.
I have a priori apologized for being off-subject in my original post. I
have, however, seen worse on this list.
> True. Our approach does not require a schema, but enables schema-based validation.
>
> Regarding Yang vs ASN.1, there are several diskussion threads not least in the Yang diskussion forums on why a new language would be better for NETCONF than using e.g. ASN.1. I'm sure Martin Björklund* could give a dissertation on the topic, since he is the main author of the Yang RFC. Whether he wants to is another matter. :)
>
> Personally, I really prefer Yang over ASN.1.

Would your preference hold also for a business system, mean Orders,
Invoices, and the like?

--Kind regards,
Wojtek Narczynski